The bells and clock

The bells and clock

The bells

The bells of St John's have always been praised by local bell ringers (and others) for their richness and purity of tone. There are eight bells and they are dedicated to: 1st St Agnes and St Helen; 2nd St John and St Julia; 3rd St Clement and St Valentine; 4th St James, St Aloysius and St Norbert; 5th St Joseph, St John the Evangelist and St Ester; 6th St John and St Joseph; 7th St Helen and St Elizabeth; 8th Blessed Virgin Mary and St Anne. This is the largest bell. Each bell has the words 'Orate pro nobis'. The 3rd|, 4th, 5th and 8th bells were hung in 1868, the rest in 1878. They were cast and installed by a Loughborough firm and the largest of them weighs 19 cwts 2 grs 24 lbs. There is also another bell, inscribed 'Long live Pius IX, Pope and King' which is used for the Elevation of the Mass and the Blessing at Benediction.

The clock

The outside clock was made and installed in 1868. Noted for its accurate time keeping, it was reputed to have been used to dispatch the trains in the days before the station was enlarged.

The clock