Canon Michael English's Diamond Jubilee
On 15th June 2018 a great gathering took place of clergy and people to celebrate 60 years of priesthood for Canon Michael English.
Born in Tipperary, Michael English was ordained to the Priesthood at Waterford on 15th June 1958 for the Diocese of Waterford and Lismore. He was sent to Clifton Diocese on a temporary mission and arrived in Swindon on 13th July 1958 and fell in love with the mission.
He spent short periods of time in Holy Rood Swindon, St. John's Bath, St. Joseph's Bristol and St. Dominic's Dursley.
In 1959 he was appointed assistant Priest in St. Nicholas of Tolentino, Bristol and then Assistant Priest at the pro cathedral during the building of the new cathedral.
In 1974, he was appointed Parish Priest of St. Augustine Matson. In 1977 he was made Parish Priest of St. Patrick's Redfield Bristol and then Parish Priest of St. Peter's Gloucester.
In 1997, he was appointed Parish Priest of St. Alphege Bath and served the local parish for many years where he was a much loved pastor.
He retired in 2008 and spent some time at St. Bernadette's Whitchurch before becoming a resident priest at St. John’s. Due to the shortage of priests he has been a great help locally and throughout the diocese.
We wish him many more years not only serving the Lord in the priesthood but also as a very special person who loves life to the full.